Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 7: Lisa vs. the Monolith (in English, with Spanish subtitles)

I had read about La Peña de Bernal, the large rock, second largest in the world after Ayers Rock in Australia, fourth tallest. I had seen the pictures. Some had said it was a great climb. My host mother and sister said to do the first part and enjoy the view. I had no idea what I was in for.

We arrived in Bernal, got out of the van, and saw the rock in front of us. Time for the adventure.



The walk through the town and to the base was pleasant, and then we prepared to hike- the very top section is only for repelling, but we would go fairly high up. The first section was deceptively easy- it was paved, there were artisans, and the view below was nice, while the rock above still towered over. Slowly, over the next hour, the walk became a hike, which became nearly a climb. I was quickly at the back of the group, having trouble catching my breath and feeling a burn in my calves. I knew I was out of shape, but I was surprised at how difficult I found the hike compared to everyone around me. At first I wasn't alone in my adjustment, and the group made jokes about stopping to "take pictures" when we needed to rest. Below are photos from part one of the hike.






Once we began going up the actual rock, I found my physical weakness frustrating. I was clearly suffering more than everyone else, and I questioned whether I should continue many times. I stayed with Dr. McCormick, my professor, who preferred my pace (but still seemed physically stronger), and my friend David, who I know could have been much further ahead but chose to stay with me. As we reached the final part of the climb, I pushed myself to my limits, but I couldn't make it. In frustration and exhaustion, I sat down, looked at the view, and cried. David stood beside me and did everything in his power to show me how far I had come, how strong I was, and how there was nothing weak about needing to go at my own pace. I had a hard time hearing it, because I was so upset at my physical weakness, and I have a history of being hard on myself when I can't meet my own expectations. But he was right, and I let him be my life coach on that rock. I sat until I felt ready, and as it turned out the end was just a few more yards up the rock. We joined the others on the section where they were sitting and took pictures and enjoyed the unbelievable view. It really was incredible being up there, and I calmed my emotions and took in the moment. Below are photos of this moment.






The hike back down was, fortunately, much easier, and for the most part I kept up, except for when I fell and needed to make sure I wasn't hurt (doesn't look like I was). We walked through town and had lunch at a beautiful restaurant with a view of the rock. It was then when I understood what we did. The photo below is the view from the restaurant. The part jutting out on the right near the top is where the pictures above were taken. I had no idea what we had accomplished, what I had accomplished, until that moment.



On the ride back, we visited a winery, where we took a tour and had a bottle of champagne (but not real champagne, because we are not in Champagne, but it was still good). We were so tired that we just couldn't get interested in the tour and wanted to go home. Right now my thighs are so sore, and I am glad to be resting, but proud that I conquered the monolith.

(finished at 9pm Saturday night, but internet went down so not officially published until Sunday morning)

No comments: